I know summer may not be the best time to share a soup recipe (especially here in Texas 😦 ), but this one is worth the heat! It has all the delicious flavors of tortilla soup without the tortillas.
Makes about 6 servings
3 small chicken breasts, or 1 1.5 large chicken breasts
1 large onion, chopped
1 green zucchini, diced
1 yellow summer squash, diced
1 14.5 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
48 oz no salt or low sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp EVOO, divided
1 tbsp and 1/4 tsp salt, divided
1 tbsp Mexican oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a large stock pot, add 1 tbsp EVOO and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium-high heat until onions become translucent and soft.
2. Add in zucchini, squash, tomatoes, chicken broth, 1 tbsp salt and Mexican oregano and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Season chicken breasts with 1/4 tsp salt and black pepper and add to skillet.
4. Scoop out about 1/4 cup of the broth from the soup and pour it into the skillet to keep the chicken moist. Cook chicken for 12-15 minutes, turning chicken at the halfway point, until chicken is cooked all the way through.
5. Remove chicken to a plate or cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
6. Add chicken to the soup pot.