I tried the most delicious white wine sangria the other day at a local restaurant and it immediately inspired me to recreate it at home. This sangria is so light and fruity and complements my shrimp ceviche and mango avocado salsa topped tilapia so well. This drink will definitely be my drink of choice for entertaining this spring.
Makes about 8 servings
1 bottle (750 ml) pinot grigio
1 can of sparkling orange flavored water
1 cup orange juice
1 small granny smith apple, sliced thin
1 small orange, sliced thin
1 tbsp agave syrup
12 mint leaves
1. In a glass pitcher, add in agave syrup, 3 orange slices and mint leaves. Mash the mint leaves into the agave and orange slices with a muddler to release the flavor of the mint leaves.
2. Pour in the rest of the oranges, apples, orange juice, pinot grigio and sparkling water and stir to combine.
3. Serve over ice.
Happy Sunday! I’m so glad it’s finally spring! These last couple of weeks have been a little inconsistent with cold and rainy weather one day and warm and sunny the next, but I’m excited for the next month or two of warm weather before the hellish Texas heat sets in for the summer. I’m looking forward to evening walks, dining outdoors, spending Easter with my family and my husband’s commencement ceremony.
What are your favorite recipes for springtime? If I had to choose a favorite meal, I’d have to say this shrimp ceviche would be the winner. The freshness and simplicity of this recipe is so great. This is the perfect meal for entertaining on a spring afternoon. Serve it alongside tostones or corn tostadas for a beautiful presentation. My husband, dad and grandfather really enjoy this ceviche so I’d say it’s a crowd pleaser, even with the most picky eaters.
Makes 6-8 servings
12 oz cooked shrimp (peeled and deveined), roughly cut or kept whole
2 large Haas avocados, diced
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 1/2 cups cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice of 3 lemons
Juice of 3 limes
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp sea salt
1. In a large bowl, add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic, shrimp, lemon juice and EVOO and combine.
2. Add the avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper and carefully combine.
3. Chill ceviche in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour before serving.