It’s been a while since I’ve posted a recipe! These last few months have been insane. After a couple of months of living apart from my husband and cats due to job reasons, we have finally reunited and relocated to Washington DC! I’m super excited about exploring this beautiful city and getting to experience real fall and winter weather!
Lately, I have not had the best eating or exercise habits. As you can see from my Instagram feed, I have been indulging in too many gluten-free treats and other bad stuff. I am getting back into the swing of things and hope to be back to my regular eating and exercise routines soon!
This is my go-to meal when I’m craving nachos or not in the mood for cooking a complicated meal. These nachos are super easy to make with fresh or leftover fajita, chicken or ground beef and store-bought plantain chips. You can also use homemade tostones. Add some raw cheddar or other cheese if you feel like indulging. 🙂
Makes 2-3 servings
1/2 lb cooked fajita
Plantain chips or tostones
1 1/2 large avocados
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 cup Romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1. Mash avocados in a bowl, squeeze in juice of 1 lime and add a bit of salt to taste.
2. Use a spoon to put a serving of avocado on each plantain chip and place on a large plate.
3. Cut fajita into bite size pieces and top each chip with a few pieces of fajita.
4. Cover nachos with lettuce, tomato and cilantro and squeeze lime juice on top.
Sometimes I really, really miss taco bowls from this big Tex-Mex fast food chain. Yeah, you know which place I’m talking about. They are loaded with beans, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, cheese, guacamole, fajitas and all inside a fried corn? shell. They used to seem like such a “healthy” choice when compared to other fast food joints, but more than half of the stuff in that bowl now makes me sick. I was really craving one of these bowls so I decided to make my own. I promise you this salad is the most satisfying salad you’ll ever eat. It’s so simple to make and is sooo good.
Fajita Taco Salad Bowls
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for fajitas:
1 pound beef skirt steak
2 tsp salt
2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp EVOO
Ingredients for salad:
2 cups of frozen (or fresh) strips of red and green bell pepper and onion
4 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
2 large avocados, mashed in a bowl with juice of a small lime (guacamole)
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp EVOO
Chopped jalapeno (optional)
Spicy salsa (optional)
1. Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat and add EVOO.
2. Season meat on both sides with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.
3. Place the meat on the skillet and cook each side for about 5 minutes until desired doneness. (5 minutes on each side comes out medium well)
4. Remove the meat to a cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
5. In the same skillet, add 1 tblsp of EVOO, bell peppers and onions and sauté for 4 minutes on medium-high heat.
6. Compose each salad in a bowl with lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, cilantro, fajitas and a hefty scoop of guacamole.